Learn about the U.S. Social Security Number card available to U.S. citizens and legal permanent, temporary, and working residents. Also covered is how to apply for a social security card.
What is Social Security Number
The social security number (SSN) is a nine-digit number identifier issued to an individual by the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA). So, the social security numbers are only given to U.S. citizens and all legal residents to track their income and determine benefits.
The Social Security card was established in 1935 as part of the New Deal Program to provide for retirement and disability benefits for the old and infirm. So, this implies that the original intention of the program was simply to track earnings and provide benefits. However, the Social Security Card Number is now used for a wide range of purposes, such as:
- Identify individuals for tax purposes
- To track individual’s credit record and,
- For credit approval.
- To open a bank account,
- Access government benefits or private insurance, and
- To buy a home or a car, and many others.
How Does SSN Work?
All U.S. legal residents (citizens, permanent residents, and temporary/working residents) have a Social Security number. The Social Security Number (SSN) is useful to all businesses and government entities in the identification of employees, citizens, and all residences.
The Social Security Administration (SSA) is in charge of issuing the Social Security Number card via the legal framework provided under Section 205(c)(2) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S. Code, Chapter 7, Subsection 405).
Your social security number has three (3) parts. The first set of three digits is referred to as the area number. The second set of two digits is the group number. The final set of the last four digits is the serial number.
You can find the SSN on your Social Security card. However, you can also find your SSN in other places, such as tax returns, W-2s, and bank statements. You may also find it on previously filed USCIS forms.
How to Apply for Social Security Numbers Card
You can apply for the Social Security number card by filling out Form SS-5 (Application for a Social Security Card) from the Social Security Administration website. But, what is in the SS-5 form is this:
- Original security card,
- Replacing social security card, and
- Changing or correcting Social Security Number records.
Before the SSA can process your SS-5 Form, you must provide and submit a properly completed application. Since, all the items on the SS-5 form are self-explanatory, just follow the instructions on the form and fill it out appropriately.
Requirements for SSN Card
There is a full list of the SS-5 form requirements. So, the question is, what are the requirements you need to complete the SS-5 form? All you require is proof of:
- U.S. Citizenship
- Immigration status
How to Fill Social Security Numbers Template Online
Get your Social Security Number template online and fill it out appropriately. To get started, follow the simple instructions below:
- First of all, login to Social Security Administration website
- Secondly, find the Social Security Numbers you require.
- Thirdly, open it up and start filling.
- Then, fill out the blank spce. Enter parties names, addresses and numbers etc.
- Now, customize the template with exclusive fillable areas.
- Then, add the particular date and place your electronic signature.
- Once you are through with filling and checking all data, simply click Done.
- Finally, download the complete filled document to your system and then, print it as a hard copy.